Saturday, May 31, 2003

Missing.

At the risk of losing all my hate cred, I have to say that the current period of extended Luridlessness is grating somewhat. I'm not pining away or anything, but when you're used to being around a person a lot of the time, adjusting to their abscence is... odd. You do stuff like going to make a cuppa and asking "D'you want one too?" then realising you're talking to an empty room. Doing stuff without them seems thin somehow. I'd been gagging to go and see The Matrix: Reloaded for ages, and now it's been out here for more than a week and I still haven't gone because there'll be no one next to me to nick jelly-babies off of.

I could buy my own jelly-babies, of course, but it's just not the same.

And I know it's daft, because he's only off doing safe academic stuff. I keep thinking about how I'd feel if my fella was on an oil rig, or out in the Gulf. Or worse, if he was missing. I think about all the people out there who are missing someone who's taken away, kidnapped by some bunch of bandits or disappeared by their government. I think about people who can't be with the ones they love because their love is proscribed by law. I think about how lucky I am that I know where all my special people will be tonight.

No comments: