Thursday, May 29, 2003

Under construction.

Still not a superhero. Stupid magick.

Been conducting an audit of the dreaded book, sussing out what I've got so far.

I have the first chapter, which is set in our world, pretty much done. The first draft of the first chapter anyway. ('Course it'll need extensive re-writing; my stuff always does.) I have the human characters, their personalities, names, and a brief bio for all but two of them. I have a large chunk of the second chapter done too. I have a good outline of the beginning of the book, and a very rough notion of how the rest of the book is going to go. Several scenes from later in the book also exist in one form or another.

The world: I know pretty much what it looks like and how it works.

As to the peoples of the other world... I have a general outline for one of them, the civilization that the story will be about.. I know roughly who they are and what they're all about. I know pretty much what their dwellings are like, the sort of societies they have, what standard of living they're at. I have some of their alphabet done and in my mind I can hear how they speak, even if I don't know what the words mean yet. I can see how they dress, how they move, how they carry their babies, how they eat and sleep. I've begun making a few tentative pencil drawings that will help me later on.

I have purposely stopped trying to write the story until I have their language, history and religion down pat. Fortunately they're a patient lot, good at explaining things to the newcomer. Hey, here's one of them now-- I think he wants to tell me something...

No comments: