Friday, March 21, 2003

Body of Evidence

Here's the thing. I'm looking up this word, right? This one word. A word that means "A body of work". I know it looks sort of like "over", but it's a bit French.

So I type "Ouver" and that looks wrong.
So I type "Ovuer" and that looks wrong.
So I type "Ouveur" and that looks wrong.
So I type "Ouver" and that looks wrong.
So I type "Ouevuer" and that looks wrong.
So I type "Oeuver" and that looks wrong.

So then I type it into Google and the best I get is "over". Gee. Thanks.

So then I fire up a dictionary site, and I thrash my way through a dozen misspellings till I get to oeuvre.

The next time someone asks me what some bloody word means or how to spell some bloody word, I'm going to hit them over the head. Not hard, you understand, but repeatedly. This is how you learn stuff, morons. You look it up until you get bored. Really fucking bored. Then just when you know it and you use it and you start to feel okay, someone else comes along and relives their middle-class guilt by using it to whack you over the head.

Gosh, it feels so good to share.

No comments: