Wednesday, September 11, 2002

Silence

There's a fire-station across the road from me. I looked out of the window today, and saw the crew all lining up outside. They were in what I suppose to be their dress uniforms. They were shuffling their feet and checking their watches as they were inspected. Then they stood to attention, looking straight ahead; invisible behind net curtains, I looked on. The roar of the traffic didn't change. Buses, cars and lorries came and went; people bustled up and down the road. The workers digging up the street outside paused only for a few seconds.

The fire crew stood to attention, in silence. I watched as they paid their respects to their collegues, under a bright Autumn sky. I watched them and then I went back to my keyboard; they went back to risking their lives.

Just another ordinary day.

No comments: