Thursday, June 12, 2003

Being boring.

One of those days. Meant to set off for town early and sniff out some job leads, but what with one thing and another I didn't get moving. Then I had a phone call from the language school telling me lesson was cancelled on account of staff sickness. That depressed the heck out of me for some reason.

Been too much of a shut-in lately. When I'm not at my class or surfing from bagsnatcher central, all I do is sit at home and study Spanish-- plus the odd break to play Icewind Dale. It's starting to mess with my mind. The other night I dreampt about a two-headed giant that wouldn't let me go past him until I'd conjugated several irregular verbs.

I reaaaally need to get out more.

Maybe getting out and about would be easier if I lived in town, but that's by-the-by. What I need is work, any work.

Trouble is... I'm all wrong for this, d'you see? I disconcert people. Too old to be a traveller scrounging for bar work. Not old or rich enough to be an expat looking for a place in the sun. I had this problem back in the UK, of course, being neither one thing nor the other, but here it's slightly worse because of the language barrier.

I'm going to redouble my efforts to find a job, be more assertive and imaginative. Besides all that, though, there's always voluntary work. Something I can fit around a paying job; half a day here, a couple of hours there. I'm not really sure where to start, but hey-- this is a university campus, there'll be something I can do. Maybe the SU needs something typing, or one of the thrift stores in town needs una dependienta? To recive, you must have your hands open, blah de blah de blah. Whatever.

Bored now. Job please.

No comments: